DEPARTMENT: Executive / Development
REPORTS TO: President and Chief Executive Officer
The Aspen Leadership Group is proud to partner with the New World Symphony, America’s Orchestral Academy, in the search for a Senior Vice President for Development.
The successful candidate will set and oversee strategy to secure a minimum of $10 million per year for annual operations. In conjunction with this annual fund, the Senior Vice President will design and execute a combined endowment and major gift campaign over the next five years with a goal of at least $75 million. The campaign will be directed toward major program development, endowment, and technology upgrades. Donors will be local and national.
The New World Symphony (NWS) has a high-functioning senior team that creates institutional strategies around a dynamic curriculum, experimentation with digitally based artistic and educational expression, new audience engagement, and public/private partnerships. As a member of the senior staff, the SVP Development is an integral part of this management team.
The NWS is a three-year fellowship program with the mission of training gifted graduates of distinguished music schools for leadership roles in the field of classical music. Under the artistic direction of NWS Founder Michael Tilson Thomas, the program offers in-depth exposure to traditional and modern repertoire, with the active involvement of leading guest conductors, soloists, and coaches. The program is in its 27th year and has nearly 1,000 alumni who are making a difference in orchestras, ensembles, and educational institutions around the globe. NWS has a unique experiential curriculum. As an R&D resource for the orchestral field, it is known for innovative initiatives that explore how music is taught, presented, and experienced.
New World Symphony pursues its work in a state-of-the-art campus designed by Frank Gehry equipped with sophisticated digital infrastructure and connectivity. NWS’ annual operating budget is $15.5M, and its endowment just passed $100M.
The leaders and alumni of the New World Symphony are playing a critical role in shaping the future of classical music around the world. The SVP Development will have the opportunity to build on past fundraising efforts and accomplishments and to engage a broader patron base. NWS’ innovation and experimentation allow donors to engage across the country and beyond. Current momentum is palpable; recent examples range from the opening of NWS’ new campus in 2011 to a widely celebrated collaboration with the Knight Foundation focused on the work of John Cage. Sitting in the audience for a WALLCAST™ Concert, the new SVP Development will find her/himself surrounded by a diverse and highly engaged audience, inspired to expand the impact that this unique and exceptionally important organization and its philanthropic partners can have in the orchestral field.
The successful candidate will:
- understand institution-wide priorities and strategic planning;
- oversee all development efforts including strategic direction, budgeting, and management, utilization, and engagement of Trustees in development efforts;
- supervise the Vice President of Development and full development staff of 12;
- ensure Development staff participation in goal setting;
- manage over 100 campaign prospects, individuals, foundations, and national corporations;
- identify prospects and secure gifts of $1,000,000 and above;
- oversee development vendors related to campaign;
- create a vibrant and productive Board Development committee, including sub-committees for special campaigns and events;
- monitor development expenses and budgeting;
- supervise the efficiency and accuracy of Tessitura development database, analysis, donor research, and cultivation/stewardship plans;
- work with Vice President of Development and Director of Special Events to identify, secure, and support Gala chairs;
- utilize Fellows in development efforts;
- regularly report on status of fundraising to senior staff and Board;
- serve as spokesperson for NWS press opportunities related to development; and
- ensure accordance with best practices and professional standards.
The successful Senior Vice President for Development will be highly people-oriented with an empathetic disposition and a donor-focused approach. The SVP Development will expend considerable energy understanding the needs of donors and will actively advocate for their interests. This individual will be a skilled communicator who exhibits a level of comfort and engagement with diverse stakeholders and is able to generate enthusiasm for NWS’ many programs. The successful candidate should demonstrate ability to initiate and sustain momentum without close supervision and must exhibit a polished presence, diplomacy, discretion as well as a deep respect and understanding of donor and Trustee relations.
In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising with a track record of building new donor relationships with prospects, Trustees, and volunteers, resulting in gifts;
- an ability to develop and implement effective donor strategy and messaging;
- interest in and dedication to promoting NWS’ mission and priorities;
- music/arts background and deep knowledge of the Miami philanthropic community; and
- technological acumen including current use of Excel, Word, Outlook, internet research, social media, and donor software.
A Bachelor’s degree is required for this position as is a minimum of seven years of development experience including proven major gifts success with five and six-figure gifts and having managed a capital campaign of $50M greater. A Master’s degree is desirable. Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
A highly competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and an extensive benefits package are provided.
The New World Symphony, American’s Orchestral Academy, is located in the historic Art Deco District of South Beach in Miami Beach, Florida. In keeping with NWS’ community commitment, the New World Center is part of a private/public partnership with Miami-Dade County and the City of Miami Beach. Its campus, the New World Center, exists at the heart of the City Center Redevelopment Project, a joint venture to inject new vitality into the downtown neighborhood of Miami Beach’s 17th Street Corridor, located just two blocks from the ocean. New World Center is just behind Lincoln Road Mall, one of the highest foot traffic shopping areas in the Southeast.
The success of Art Basel Miami Beach, the opening of the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, and the construction of Museum Park all point to a new era for Miami. NWS has built on this momentum, changing the perception of being in a region only known for sun and surf. Miami Beach is now recognized as a world-class cultural destination.
Before sending your résumé for this position, please read it over for accuracy. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
To apply for this position, visit: http://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com.
To nominate a candidate, please contact Ron Schiller: email@example.com.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.