NWS Weather Updates
We hope you and your loved ones emerged from Hurricane Irma safely. We are happy that the New World Center, our Fellows and staff weathered the storm and are gearing up to continue the start of our 30th Anniversary Season.
But while we do that, due to the hurricane, all three of the free pre-season concerts (Sep. 15, 16 and 17) have been cancelled.
Please visit nws.edu/events for other opportunities to see other upcoming free performances, such as the Pre-Season Orchestra Concert on Saturday, September 23, which will go on as scheduled, or the November 6 Musicians' Forum.
How To Help
As many people throughout our region are feeling the effects of this past week, we wanted to let you know that there are many ways you can help!
- The Hurricane Relief Fund at the Miami Foundation will help support recovery and rebuilding efforts driven by organizations working on the ground. Please click here to support the Fund.
- The American Red Cross specializes in providing emergency shelter and will be looking for people to assist at shelters, unload trucks, serve food, onboard other volunteers, and help set up other facilities. You can donate or register to volunteer here.
- To donate or volunteer via the United Way's Relief efforts: https://unitedwaymiami.org/
- To donate clothing and household items: http://www.goodwillsouthflorida.org/Donation-Centers-Hours
- For additional ideas, the non-profit Radical Partners assembled a list of local organizations supporting Irma relief efforts here: http://www.radical.partners/irmarelief
- For more info and resources to learn how to lend a helping hand post-Irma, please consult the useful page put together by our friends at The New Tropic.