The New World Symphony, America’s Orchestral Academy (NWS) and Michael Tilson Thomas (MTT) present Viola Visions—a five-day celebration of the viola featuring the instrument’s most prodigious artists in concerts, master classes and seminars. Renowned performers and educators Roberto Díaz, Kim Kashkashian, Matthew Lipman, Cynthia Phelps, Nadia Sirota, Jonathan Vinocour and Tabea Zimmermann will join NWS Fellows and alumni in performances of viola-centric works led by MTT.
A GLOBAL AUDIENCE
Viola enthusiasts around the world will have the opportunity to experience all Viola Visions activities thanks to NWS’s media partners for the festival: medici.tv and The Violin Channel. Online viewers can also submit questions for Kim Kashkashian’s Tuesday seminar and the Friday night master class led by MTT. Violists are encouraged to suggest the repertoire they would like to hear performed and critiqued in Friday’s class. Final selections will be crowdsourced from the online violist community. Click here to suggest repertoire. Repertoire submissions close August 31, 2019.
Join the global conversation on social media by using #NWSViolaVisions and checking out the "Ways to Watch" in the event listings for the festival.
YOUNG ARTIST RESIDENCY PROGRAM
NWS will provide up to three pre-professional violists the opportunity to participate in festival events. The residency includes:
- Travel to Miami Beach and a per-diem during the residency
- Lodging on Miami Beach within walking distance of the New World Center
- Individual coaching and lessons with New World Symphony Fellows and alumni
- Access to a panel discussion and lunch on Saturday, October 12, featuring NWS Fellows and alumni
- Free tickets and backstage pass to the New World Symphony concert on Saturday, October 12
- Potential performance during the Friday evening master class